Modern Tone II, the Return of the Question

Alan tune4u@earthlink.net
Sat, 5 Mar 2005 20:58:33 -0600

Since I'm the one who launched this wild ride, I've followed the thread =
and
wish to say these things:
=20
1. It's interesting how my post, which was essentially a matter of the =
art
of voicing (and how to aquire that artistic discernment), skittered off =
into
all kinds of related trails--technology, university tuning, and various
other areas. Just like a room full of techs at convention. Good for
exercising the brain muscles.
=20
2. I'd like to know what some of the great ears of music have had to say
about this--people who were performing, conducting, recording, or =
voicing
from 1950, say, into the 90's. The biggest names, e.g. Horowitz, could, =
of
course, have their pianos voiced exactly to their =
preferences--especially
since many of their pianos travel with them, do they not? But what about =
Bernstein? A Van Cliburn (NOT performing, but listening and judging)? =
Geo.
Defebaugh--anyone have memory of his thoughts? Franz Mohr, Etc.
=20
3. Speaking of Horowitz, anyone want to stick yer neck out and comment =
on
his recordings?
=20
4. For those with limited experience and little opportunitity to mentor =
with
someone, terms like "large, dark, powerful, clear, and throaty, with =
roar
and snap at double or triple forte, but NEVER clangy or distorted" just
leave one guessing as to what they mean. I assume that "dark" means =
power in
the lower partials not overshadowed by the higher ones (?) but I'd be
guessing about that "roar and snap" thing. This isn't to criticize =
David's
description, merely to point out the difficulties and frustrations of
communicating sensory perceptions through verbage. I've watch Roger =
Jolly
and Ari Issac do some voicing and marveled at what they can do and how =
well
they do it. But even trying, in person, to demonstrate and teach voicing =
a room full of people seems very challenging: "See, the sound is now a =
broad
'Ohhhhh' instead of an "Ehhhhh and it sits higher against on the shelf."
(Made part of that up .... sorry)
=20
I think it's like people describing wines without giving you a sip: Yes, =
and
this vintage is drier than a moselle, slightly nutty, with just a hint =
of
the vine not revealed in the bouqet unless consumed at midnight in a
graveyard while holding a dead cat.
=20
Alan R. Barnard
Always Studyin' but Not Always Gettin' It in Salem, MO

=20

--=20
Checked by AVG Anti-Virus.
=20