Modern Tone

Sarah Fox sarah@graphic-fusion.com
Sat, 5 Mar 2005 13:39:36 -0500

MessageHi Trent,

How would you put in context the "margin of error" that might apply to =
your theory below?  I don't know enough about these technologies to =
definitely dispute your theory, but I wonder about some things, mainly =
whether the magnitude and frequency distribution of the differences in =
recording technology really would have the effects on perceived voicing =
that you suggest. =20

As I said in a previous post, the sound in those old recordings sounds =
"colored," more times than not, at least to my ears.  On a piano, =
voicing is the process of balancing the relative amplitudes of the =
fundamental and the numerous partials.  The same thing can be done =
electronically, whether intentionally or not.

One thing that I am thinking is that "hardness" in tone can come from =
peaks in the 3-5kHz range, and those old microphones and tape recorders =
wouldn't necessarily record that range in misleadingly low proportion.

I would trust the older recording equipment to be sensitive in this =
range, of course.  That's not to say that the equalization settings were =
flat!  Even so, I'm skeptical that the "glassiness" heard in many pianos =
comes from sound in as narrow a band as 3-5kHz.  I would think it comes =
from a very broad distribution of spectral energy in the higher =
frequency ranges, going on up to the limits of our frequency =
sensitivity.

I would be surprised if recordings from the 50's are that deficient =
below 10kHz, and my gut sense is that any large differences in voicing =
quality will be evident even in recordings truncated at 10kHz.

Perhaps, but I don't think this tells you the whole story.

If there were some general frequency balance pattern present, like a =
tendency towards a hump in response around 250Hz or something, I could =
see how you could get an impression of a mellower, deeper tone.  But I =
have never heard of anything like that being the rule, but maybe =
something like that was common.

I've heard a number of recordings that sounded as though they were made =
inside an oil drum.  <grin>  However, I'd characterize that as the =
exception, rather than the rule.  I do suspect it was common not to =
strive for utterly flat response and to adjust for what sounded the =
best.

I'm also curious about where you mention large tape heads, because my =
layman's understanding has been that the width of the gap and the tape =
speed governed range more than anything, and also that some of those old =
Ampex machines and the like were, and are, very very good.

It's not just the gap.  It's also the inductive properties of the tape =
head.  A component with high inductance can't be driven well at high =
frequencies.  I *think* the bias frequencies used back then were much =
lower, limiting the upper end of the frequency response curve.  But this =
is where I would need to defer to someone like Horace, who probably =
knows more about these machines. =20

It would be interesting to hear from some of those who have noticed =
qualities in a variety of recordings from different periods.  I would =
expect some instruments (trumpets, flutes, triangles, cymbals, human =
voices to some degree) to have a very similar spectral balance today as =
they did in the 50's.  So in these recordings where the piano sounds =
less bright or hard, do the other instruments also sound mellower or =
muted or muffled?  And how about organ recordings with lots of high =
frequencies -- mightn't that be noticeable?

Excellent point!  It would be very useful to use other instruments as a =
reference.  I don't know which of the instruments you suggested would be =
constant throughout the ages.  I would suspect trumpets and human voices =
change with the styles.  Flutes would be relatively constant, but =
generally devoid of really high spectral content.  Cymbals might work, =
as well as triangles.  Violins have been very carefully standardized, =
and the spectral content of an entire violin section might provide a =
useful "average" spectrum with which comparisons can be made.=20

I wonder if there's been a call for brighter and brighter pianos since =
the 40's to cut through the mix with a lot of amplified instruments.  In =
any case, I too am glad to hear that I'm not alone in my general =
preference for a wider timbral range and usually a warmer or more mellow =
sound and that Barbara has been receiving a lot of appreciation from =
musicians for her work.

I too ;-)  As I've said before, I'm a big fan of the American Golden Age =
pianos, and I really hate lacquered hammers.  However, the skeptic in me =
wonders if the Golden Age pianos sound today anything like they sounded =
back then.  I don't trust musical recordings enough to look to them for =
answers.

Peace,
Sarah
www.graphic-fusion.com