FW: Modern Tone

Lesher, Trent J. tlesher@sachnoff.com
Fri, 4 Mar 2005 16:44:51 -0600

Just occurred to me, though, that the great increase in recordings of =
dynamic range and ability to reproduce sharp transients might have some =
of the effects you're talking about though.  If the transients are tamed =
a bit in the old recordings, that could make the difference between at =
least one kind of brightness or hardness that comes mainly in the =
sharpness of the attack sound. =20
=20
Trent
=20
-----Original Message-----
From: Lesher, Trent J.=20
Sent: Friday, March 04, 2005 4:36 PM
To: 'pianotech@ptg.org'
Subject: RE: Modern Tone=20

Hi Sarah,
=20
How would you put in context the "margin of error" that might apply to =
your theory below?  I don't know enough about these technologies to =
definitely dispute your theory, but I wonder about some things, mainly =
whether the magnitude and frequency distribution of the differences in =
recording technology really would have the effects on perceived voicing =
that you suggest. =20
=20
One thing that I am thinking is that "hardness" in tone can come from =
peaks in the 3-5kHz range, and those old microphones and tape recorders =
wouldn't necessarily record that range in misleadingly low proportion.  =
I would be surprised if recordings from the 50's are that deficient =
below 10kHz, and my gut sense is that any large differences in voicing =
quality will be evident even in recordings truncated at 10kHz.  What =
little experience I have with older home type tape recorders from the =
50's, for instance a Revere model reel-to-reel that runs at 7-1/2 ips, =
suggests to me that if a piano sounds bright or hard in reality, it will =
sound bright or hard when recorded on that machine.  I have also used =
inexpensive large diaphragm dynamic type microphones and have the same =
result.  I'd buess that what is most noticeably missing in both cases is =
more in the 12kHz-plus area, and some of the texture in that range can =
actually give the sound a more supple quality, so I wouldn't =
automatically say its absence would create a false impression of =
mellowness or softer voicing. =20
=20
If there were some general frequency balance pattern present, like a =
tendency towards a hump in response around 250Hz or something, I could =
see how you could get an impression of a mellower, deeper tone.  But I =
have never heard of anything like that being the rule, but maybe =
something like that was common.
=20
I'm also curious about where you mention large tape heads, because my =
layman's understanding has been that the width of the gap and the tape =
speed governed range more than anything, and also that some of those old =
Ampex machines and the like were, and are, very very good. =20
=20
It would be interesting to hear from some of those who have noticed =
qualities in a variety of recordings from different periods.  I would =
expect some instruments (trumpets, flutes, triangles, cymbals, human =
voices to some degree) to have a very similar spectral balance today as =
they did in the 50's.  So in these recordings where the piano sounds =
less bright or hard, do the other instruments also sound mellower or =
muted or muffled?  And how about organ recordings with lots of high =
frequencies -- mightn't that be noticeable?
=20
Curious about all this.
=20
I too have been in a constant quest for pianos with timbral range and =
nuance like Barbara talks about, though I doubt my ear is nearly as =
discriminating (yet).  Over the years, I found a few, mostly Baldwins or =
M&H's, in local university practice rooms that became my favorites for =
awhile. When I first got my 1921 Bush & Lane upright about 7 months ago, =
it was the hardest, most cutting (and yet dead in some way) thing I'd =
ever heard, but that was just age and neglect.  I know I'm not objective =
about it because it's my first real piano project, but I now almost =
always play it instead of the 70's-era M&H 50", because there seems to =
be just an endless story told in its tone and response.
=20
I wonder if there's been a call for brighter and brighter pianos since =
the 40's to cut through the mix with a lot of amplified instruments.  In =
any case, I too am glad to hear that I'm not alone in my general =
preference for a wider timbral range and usually a warmer or more mellow =
sound and that Barbara has been receiving a lot of appreciation from =
musicians for her work.
=20
Best regards,
=20