Order of Ops?

David Nereson dnereson@4dv.net
Sat, 05 Mar 2005 07:20:22 -0700

mps@usol.com wrote:

>I have only practiced on my own piano with voicing and regulation.
>But when doing these in the real tech world, what comes first?
>
>I know it should be tuned first.
>Then any and all necessary repairs should be completed.
>
>Next?
>
>Thank you very much
>
>Mark Montbriand
>Mark's Piano Service
>Freeland,
>MI

    Seems to me you would perform any and all necessary repairs,
including any filing and reshaping of hammers.  Then regulate the
action.  Then tune.  Then as a prelude to needling hammers, first check
that strings are level and that hammers are mated to strings (hitting
all strings of the unison at the same time).  Lastly, needle the hammers
for tone.  There are exceptions to this order, but as a general rule,
you can't really do fine voicing unless the action is regulated
(including proper striking of the strings by the hammers) and the
strings are in tune.   --David Nereson, RPT