Modern Tone

Barbara Richmond piano57@flash.net
Fri, 4 Mar 2005 10:17:51 -0600

crime........  ;-)

Barbara
  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: Erwinspiano@aol.com=20
  To: pianotech@ptg.org=20
  Sent: Friday, March 04, 2005 7:42 AM
  Subject: Re: Modern Tone=20

    Barbara
    Well isn't it good to know the tonal pendulum is swinging & that =
quite a few of us are feeling it's breeze &on the same page here.:=20
      The tone issue is what pushed me out of being a full time tuner & =
farther and farther into rebuilding/ building & finding  my own tonal =
brand of piano restoration. I had to get away from all the clangers & =
bangers coming from the pacific rim to preserve my hearing/sanity.
      It started with the revelation that I really didn't enjoy the =
sound of most pianos I heard. This meant I had to learn to voice. Norman =
Neblett gave me my very first hands on voicing lesson in 1979 on a =
Yamaha CF. After that  I was then armed & dangerous. Promptly went out & =
applied Yamaha voivcing techniques to a set of old Steinway hammers. =
Well that didnt' work. So after I replaced that set ... for free, I =
decided I had to learn a few more things.  Oh well . It's been an =
awesome trip & I'm liking a lot of what I hear these days.
   Thanks for the encouragement!
    Dale