Modern Tone

Erwinspiano@aol.com Erwinspiano@aol.com
Fri, 4 Mar 2005 08:42:56 EST

Barbara
  Well isn't it good to know the tonal pendulum is  swinging & that quite a
few of us are feeling it's breeze &on the same  page here.:
    The tone issue is what pushed me out of  being a full time tuner &
farther and farther into rebuilding/ building  & finding  my own tonal brand of
piano restoration. I had to get away  from all the clangers & bangers coming from
the pacific rim to preserve my  hearing/sanity.
    It started with the revelation that I  really didn't enjoy the sound of
most pianos I heard. This meant I had to learn  to voice. Norman Neblett gave
me my very first hands on voicing lesson in 1979  on a Yamaha CF. After that  I
was then armed & dangerous. Promptly went  out & applied Yamaha voivcing
techniques to a set of old Steinway hammers.  Well that didnt' work. So after I
replaced that set ... for free, I decided  I had to learn a few more things.  Oh
well . It's been an awesome trip  & I'm liking a lot of what I hear these
days.
 Thanks for the encouragement!
  Dale

Very  nice,  Barb,