Square Grand Hammers (Not again!)

D.L. Bullock dlbullock@att.net
Thu, 3 Mar 2005 12:00:51 -0600

I can't answer your question without seeing them.  Send me a jpg of the
hammers.  I have done them all different ways.  Some I can have duplicated,
some I have to do the work refelting/releathering the old hammer moldings.

D.L. Bullock    St. Louis
www.thepianoworld.com

Do you or your family have a health challenge?  Put YOUR BODY'S OWN IMMUNE
SYSTEM to work for you----It is capable of repairing itself from EVERY
disease if you give it the right fuel.  Visit
http://bullock.myglycostore.com to get the right fuel

Visit http://bullock.goldenkeys.net/ to investigate a great automated home
based business to get your products for free.

  -----Original Message-----
  From: David V. Anderson [mailto:daverpt@wi.rr.com]
  Sent: Thursday, March 03, 2005 7:42 AM
  To: pianotech@ptg.org
  Subject: Square Grand Hammers (Not again!)

  If you question the value of working on these, read no further!

  The current project on the table is a fairly early, non-overstrung
Emerson.  My question for you square lovers is this:  The action parts are
in good shape, worthy of renewal rather than replacement.  However, the
hammers are of the primitive, mostly wood (and not much wood at that) type
with, 1/8 to 3/8" of felt, and covered by well worn leather.  Is there a
supplier of good replacement smaller hammers, or am I better off simply
renewing the leather, or replacing the felt & leather together?  Modern
hammers with the corners nipped are clearly not the solution.  The amount of
pressure needed to replicate such a felt configuration seems minimal, but as
we do on this list, I'm looking for input from someone who has already tried
this a couple of different ways before I start my experimenting.  I'm
looking for the best tone this beast has to offer.  (I warned you not to
read this far if the urge to respond with flames is rising!)

  Sincerely,

  David Anderson, RPT

  The one in Waukesha, WI.  Not the one who frequently posts to the list,
but not the one who never posts either.  One of 5 of us in the organization,
I believe.  Who's up for a Dave Anderson breakfast in KC?