upright touchweight, mistakes and conclusions

Erwinspiano@aol.com Erwinspiano@aol.com
Wed, 2 Mar 2005 10:46:23 EST

Hi Keith
  I read your post & any one reading this  will have a better understanding
of the dynamic relationship of action parts in  an upright. Nice job. Yes even
your mentor learned a few  things.
  I have often weigh  upright hammers in the  big old uprights we restore & I
find the original hammer weight is always  light as are the grand from the
time period
    . On the Ludwig upright currently  in process & used the AA Wurzen felt
with the Maple moldings & I found  that even tapering the whole set in my
tablesaw jig I was still a fair bit  heavier but close enough. I juiced only the
bass lightly. The rest of the set  got nothing except the usual filing  that you
& I are accustomed to.I  find uprights do not need or benefit from  a heavy
hammer & that extra  weight really tend to kill the sound especiall in the top
3  octaves.
 Thank you grasshopper
   Regards
   Dale

Mistake 1; Assuming action geometry would solve  an upright weight problem.

Mistake 2; Assuming leading would solve an  upright weight problem.

Mistake 3; Assuming a little stronger jack  spring wouldn't hurt.
Mistake 4; Assuming...
Mistake 5; Assuming....

This is theory, I'm assuming I'm  right.

I thought action geometry could solve a  touchweight problem on an upright.
First clue; I have heard it said (must be  an old wives tale), "you can hang a
heavy hammer because the weight of the  hammer doesn't matter in an upright".
True.  A mistake would be to  not lighten the hammer as much as possible. A
too heavy of a hammer will crush  the butt leather and pressure the flange
bushing and not have a clean rebound.  However, the ability to accelerate a heavy
hammer is there. The key here is  knowing that the wippen in an upright is a
2nd class lever on the lift  and a 3rd class lever on return. In a grand, the
opposite is true. So an  upright being a more efficient lift mechanism, mass is
less important.  The upright action geometry is designed for proper
distance/movement of the wippen and touchweight becomes a  factor of the spring
tensions, a variable, instead of gravity which is  not a variable. You might want to
change the geometry if the blow distance was  set at 1 and 7/8" with a key
dip of 3/8" and a jack that hits the letoff  rail. Damper lift also needs to be
considered. Then the wippen travel  might need to be lessened.

Back to touchweight. The jack spring is a  significant factor in the
touchweight. I had a 57 gram DW and a 37gr UW. Both  the tall Pianotech spring and the
Schaff spring were too tall. I could have  determined this by measuring the
height of the jack flange. The one on this  Knabe is short in comparison to the
replacement options. So I replaced the  jack spring with a spinet jack spring
from Pianotech and the DW became 47  grams and the UW was 20 grams. I would
have thought this was wrong if  Michael Gamble hadn't posted the target weights
from the S&S manual.  Thank you Michael. Obviously the jack spring affects
the UW  far more than the DW. It functions somewhat as a wippen return spring.
It  will aid in lifting more weight at the front of the key. The effort of the
jack spring is a 2nd class lever. The effort of the hammer weight is a  3rd
class lever and so the hammer spring will have more effect on the DW  than the
UW. The springs control  the DW and the UW.

Upward pressure is needed at the capstan. This  would be to maintain
capstan/wippen contact during both the up and down  movement of the wippen. This
upward pressure is limited by the weight of the  wippen and the low UW and the need
of the wippen to drop quickly without the  weight of the hammer. Leading
needs to balance the key against the wippen  regardless of hammer weight. The
wippen needs to fall on it's own weight  to allow the jack to reset and have lost
motion. Leading  therefore should be to balance the keys as an individual
component.  Any change in feel will come from the change in hammer weight on
acceleration or messing with spring weights.

Please comment, discuss, call me stupid or  ignorant but substantiate and
show the way.

Keith Roberts
kpiano