Tuning Lever Tips

Joseph Alkana josephspiano@comcast.net
Tue, 1 Mar 2005 20:24:54 -0800

Greg,
Thanks for your input. I like the idea of lightness in a tuning hammer =
for most occasions. The exception being pianos with really tight pins. =
Sometimes those types can call for a pronounced nudge that seems easier =
to administer with a weighted hammer.=20
One other 'downside' is the cost of those Jahn puppies!=20

I think Jahn is pronounced like yawn!

Joseph Alkana  RPT
josephspiano@comcast.net
  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: Greg Graham=20
  To: pianotech@ptg.org=20
  Sent: Tuesday, March 01, 2005 7:18 PM
  Subject: Tuning Lever Tips

  Joseph,=20

  I've been using the pear-shaped Jahn tuning hammer
  from Pianotek for about a year and like it very much.=20
  I went with the non-extension, lightweight hammer and
  enjoy the feel.  I used to get a sore palm from my
  old, narrow "straight" handled hammer.  My hand always
  feels good now, using any kind of grip (though I'm
  mostly a palm-on-the-end gripper now.)=20
  Very responsive, very rigid, fast when moving from pin
  to pin, and I don't feel like I've been weightlifting.
   Nicely made. Tips fit the pins, easy to change sizes
  and angles without a wrench if you buy multiple heads.
   I have two 15 degree heads, one with a #2 star tip,
  the other a #3.  I have one 5 degree head with a #3.=20
  I'll probably get another 5 degree head someday to
  mount a #2.  I started with only one of each head and
  tip, and was torqueing them off with the tip wrench.=20
  Getting the extras saves time and effort.

  The only downside I can see to the Jahn setup is that
  they don't use "standard" tips.  If they ever stop
  making the tips, it will be time to get a "standard"
  hammer.

  How do you pronounce Jahn?  Like John, Jan, Zzhaaan?
  Juan? =20

  Greg Graham

  ---------------
  Pardon the question if it's been answered before, but
  are there any of =3D
  you that use the Jahn hammer that would care to
  comment on its quality =3D
  and fitness for the job? Any users working with the
  ball end version? =3D
  I'm considering a change from my battered and bruised
  Schaff-with-the =3D
  square-head design.
  Joseph Alkana  RPT