Keytop thicknesses

Alan Barnard tune4u@earthlink.net
Wed, 27 Jul 2005 21:20:32 -0500

To Joe ... What replacement tops do you use when (a) replacing ivory, and (b) replacing plastic/ivorine/cellulose?

Alan Barnard
Salem, Missouri

----- Original Message -----
From: Joe Garrett
To: pianotech
Sent: 07/27/2005 8:31:01 PM
Subject: Keytop thicknesses

Avery Todd said: "Just "PLEASE" don't use those extra thick keytops!!!!!!!!"

Avery,
By that, I assume you mean anything thicker than .060"!<G> (Which totally eliminates ALL Moulded Key top material, as the thinnest is .075"!)
I really have a problem with Milling off the key surface, to compensate for that damned Moulded key top material. Just an accident waiting for a place to happen, IMO! A slight, and I do mean slight Milling is o.k., if your intention is to get the top square with the sides/bottom of the key stick.
Just my take on that lunacy.<G> Flame Suit On But Not Zipped Up 'Cause It's Too Damned Hot Already!!!<G>
Joe Garrett, R.P.T.
Captain, Tool Police
Squares R I