the future of piano study

Robert Wilson pianotechnicianuk@yahoo.com
Wed, 20 Jul 2005 09:14:33 +0100 (BST)

It's probably a healthier situation today.  100 years
ago children were automatically put to the piano,
whether they liked it or not,  as someone in every
family had to play.  There wasn't even radio in those
days.  Rich people had musical boxes and that was as
far as it went. You had to make your own music or go
without!   Generally, out of an average sized family,
one or two children may have stuck to it and succeeded
- but they may not have really wanted to do it.  They
didn't have much choice but to try and learn - and
they weren't meant to enjoy the experience either!

These days, children have a hard time with all the
studying required in their teen years, but in the UK
anyway there is a healthy interest amoungst youngsters
in learning the piano and they actually enjoy it and
are keen to do it.

At least you feel you have done something worthwhile
after playing the piano, instead of watching other
people do things on television or playing computer
games which are ultimately unsatisfying.

Bob Wilson
London