the future of piano study

Wed, 20 Jul 2005 07:07:38 +0100

Hello Tom and List
I hear on the BBC that Yamaha are offering, as First Prize to any NON =
professional pianist over 30 years old taking part in a South Bank piano =
competition  a =A310,000 Yamaha piano. They're doing their bit here =
anyway. So is the BBC in their "Young Musician of the year" annual =
event. I have more work than I can possibly handle since there are fewer =
and fewer piano tuners coming into the field. Learning how to tune a =
piano in UK is now more difficult there being no piano factories. =
(Herrberger-Brooks piano action and key factory has also ceased trading =
some while back along with Broadwoods, Knights, Rogers etc.) so the only =
place I know of is with what used to be called the "Furniture College" =
in Commercial Road, London. I dare say there are various piano workshops =
or Ateliers who train new recruits. No, here it is not the lack of =
pianists which is worrying, it's the lack of tuners.
Regards from Sunny Sussex
Michael G.(UK)
  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: Tom Servinsky=20
  To: Pianotech=20
  Sent: Wednesday, July 20, 2005 2:21 AM
  Subject: Re: the future of piano study

  I can't speak for our neck of the woods ( S. Florida). All of our =
piano teachers are carrying full loads plus huge waiting lists for any =
future openings.   Piano lessons are going strong and parents are most =
enthusiastic of the benefits pianos lessons provide. In addition I'm =
seeing a lot of the high school students going to the symphony concerts =
as dates instead of the parting down the block.
  Tom Servinsky
    ----- Original Message -----=20