Reamed & properly handled

Erwinspiano@aol.com Erwinspiano@aol.com
Sat, 9 Jul 2005 00:24:59 EDT

Robin & all
  I'd be interested in a round table discussion on   reamed & properly
handled. I've heard this word a fair bit  & find reaming in many various forms to be
more than unsatisfactory ,  especially when compared to the fit of a new
block. SInce some blocks can be  changed for such a nominal cost both in dollars &
time, the risk of  re-using the old one ,IMO is not particularly appealing.
    ie we replaced a chickering block in about  5 hrs the other day. All
these are flat sawn & aged & should be  discarded without much discussion. However
they are easy to replace since they  are not dowelled to either the stretcher
or the case unless one is so  inclined.
  Regards & good to hear from you
  Dale Erwin

Hello Altieri,
If this piano is really from 1929  then it will not have a segmented
block.  Also, the block, reamed and  properly handled, very likely doen't
have to be  replaced.
Regards, Robin  Hufford

Erwins Pianos  Restorations
4721 Parker Rd.
Modesto, Ca 95357
209-577-8397
Rebuilt  Steinway , Mason &Hamlin  Sales
www.Erwinspiano.com