?selling ivory

David Renaud drjazzca@yahoo.ca
Mon, 31 Jan 2005 14:19:24 -0500 (EST)

   This was also the case for a local dealer sending
a 1920's Stienway, sold into the US.

   It was rejected at the boarder and returned to
the store. All the perfect Ivory was ripped off &
replaced with plastic. They did argue but...no way.

   I was surprised to hear a century old US
manufactured high end instrument would be rejected,
seeing that in a sence it was coming back home.

   Does this mean precious artifacts requested by
museums....say an ancient sword with Ivory inlay
would be rejected....I always assumed there were
some exceptions for very old items in original
condition, manufactured pre-ban.

                            Cheers
                            Dave Renaud
                            Canada