Early Julius Bluthner

Sun, 30 Jan 2005 19:14:53 +0100

Hi Folks

Just stumbled onto a pretty early Julius Bluthner grand. Straight
strung, three screwed in place struts for the two piece plate ensemble,
havnt checked the action out yet.  Patents visiable from 1856.   Big
brass letters on the fall board  saying

Patent
Julius Bluther
Leipzig

Could not find a serial number anywhere, and it looks like nothings been
painted over.  So where do I look ?  Case is in wonderfull shape
really.. I'll get some pictures tommorrow. Action is frozen tight... so
lots of work there. Good deal of rust on the tuning pins and strings,
much dirt but structually looks pretty darned good really.. at least on
my first quick look through.  A couple smaller cracks in the sound
board.  Soundboard.. yes.... grain runs perpendicular to the long
bridge... more or less.   Bass bridge may have pulled up a bit... didnt
have a good light so I will check it out much closer in the next couple
days.

Anyways... definantly fixable without too much trouble.... and it was
free.  Thats right... an old lady just gave it to the conservatory to do
with as we please.

Pics tommorrow,... but I sure would like some tips as to where to find a
serial number.

Cheers
RicB