How do you do it ??

Tom Servinsky tompiano@bellsouth.net
Sun, 30 Jan 2005 08:03:13 -0500

Richard,
I hope that you realize that you stirred the beehive, so to speak, with your
inquiry of " how do you do it?".
For many of us who have been in this profession for many years, and I use
the term "profession" strongly, end up being engulfed into a magnitude of
procedures that we must master in order to properly address all the things
which presents itself in this line of work. That being said, it's no wonder
that the time allotment that many of us devote (to our work) goes well
beyond that of a normal 40 hr. work week. The notion of a 40 hr. week seems
like a vacation in retrospect. But you asked the question and I'll give you
my spin on the subject.
I normally see 5-7 instruments a day x 5-6 days a week. 70% is concert
related work as I'm the house technician for 3 concert venues, plus the
local Steinway concert technician, plus being the local Yamaha concert tech
which adds oodles of engagements through the course of our busy season. Many
days I have as many as 4 major concerts occurring in one day, which means a
lot of jockeying back and forth between theatres,meeting with the artists
making sure everything is in proper order. In between  those times, I
sprinkle in a few customers along the way.
My day usually starts around 6 AM at the one the theatre and usually
finishes around 7:30PM or later depending upon if I'm on standby or not for
the concerts. I also do a fair bit of rebuilding which is used for any
tuning downtime that occurs. Normally there 2- 4 instruments in production,
as being the case at this time.
So all in all, my work week usually hovers around 60- 80 hrs. per week. We
have 4 children and I'm the sole bread winner in our family. I have 2 recent
college graduates and 2 in private school. We live in a very nice area of
the town, have the nice house, the 2 cars, the whole bit and caboodle....
Bottom line is that I have found a profession that inspires me. Yes, there
are times when it gets to be a bit much, but luckily I have other interests
as well that re-energizes the batteries and gives me my balances. On top of
this I'm also a professional clarinetist playing with an excellent orchestra
and do some free-lancing with other groups when time permits. I count myself
as one of the lucky ones who have found a profession which inspires me and
gives total satisfaction. It's a profession that the artist community solely
depends upon to bring their performances to top order. Knowing that I have a
hand in making the performance scene operate more smoothly gives me great
pleasure. Thus, this no longer becomes "work" as it becomes more of a duty
and obligation that I have been called to perform.  I take great pride in
being able to be apart of such a noble profession. I seriously couldn't
imagine being more happy and fulfilled in any other profession.
Tom Servinsky, RPT