***RE: your punching comments

antares antares@euronet.nl
Sat, 29 Jan 2005 17:40:34 +0100

On 29-jan-05, at 17:00, Keith Roberts wrote:

> I echo your thoughts, David. It seems to not jive. I have an=20
> engineering backround so I have to model the situation and analize.=20
> Here are a few postulates FOR the theory.
>  For the hammer to create a louder tone, the hammer must have a higher=20=

> velocity when it hits the string and therefore when it leaves the=20
> jack. In the static world the knuckle leaves the jack before the key=20=

> hits the punching. Obviously the flex and delay (compression) in the=20=

> system allows the key to contact the punching before the let off point=20=

> on harder blows. The flex of each particular piano will have to be=20
> taken into account. In pianos with less flex the effect/difference=20
> will be less because the delay not being so great, let off will occur=20=

> before deacceleration has a chance to affect to speed of the jack.=20
> With a softer punching, slow down of the key begins sooner and takes=20=

> up more of the stroke. As the flex unwinds through the system a=20
> gradual and early slow down of the key will result in a decrease in=20
> velocity at let off. Just as with the teeter totter, as you take up=20
> the landing with your legs, you control the launch velocity of the=20
> kid.
> =A0
> Andre works on a lot of large grands with big keys and lots of mass =3D=20=

> more flex/delay.
> =A0
> kpiano

Hi Keith,

I am sorry, I do not agree at all.
These little felt babies improve touch & tone on any instrument.
As I tried to explain before, it has nothing to with mass.
If you replace the original punching with this new Wurzen one, even a=20
very soft blow will be more clear.

First try it out for yourself, then judge. It is that simple

Andr=E9 Oorebeek
Amsterdam
The Netherlands

Where 'music' is no harm can be