***RE: your punching comments

Keith Roberts kpiano@goldrush.com
Sat, 29 Jan 2005 08:00:44 -0800

I echo your thoughts, David. It seems to not jive. I have an engineering =
backround so I have to model the situation and analize. Here are a few =
postulates FOR the theory.=20
For the hammer to create a louder tone, the hammer must have a higher =
velocity when it hits the string and therefore when it leaves the jack. =
In the static world the knuckle leaves the jack before the key hits the =
punching. Obviously the flex and delay (compression) in the system =
allows the key to contact the punching before the let off point on =
harder blows. The flex of each particular piano will have to be taken =
into account. In pianos with less flex the effect/difference will be =
less because the delay not being so great, let off will occur before =
deacceleration has a chance to affect to speed of the jack. With a =
softer punching, slow down of the key begins sooner and takes up more of =
the stroke. As the flex unwinds through the system a gradual and early =
slow down of the key will result in a decrease in velocity at let off. =
Just as with the teeter totter, as you take up the landing with your =
legs, you control the launch velocity of the kid.

Andre works on a lot of large grands with big keys and lots of mass =3D =
more flex/delay.

kpiano