Andres punching tested

antares antares@euronet.nl
Sat, 29 Jan 2005 16:27:48 +0100

On 29-jan-05, at 15:58, Dean May wrote:

> =A0>>=A0I would appreciate an engineering analysis considering not =
only=20
> the flexibility of the key, but the flexibility of the hammer shank as=20=

> well and whether there is really adequate distance remaining between=20=

> the hammer and the string at the point at which the key bottoms out=20
> for any real difference in acceleration of the hammer to occur, if any=20=

> of you engineers cares to offer one.=A0=A0=A0
> =A0
> =A0
> =A0
> I think the principle involved is conservation of energy, or=20
> conservation of momentum. In depressing the key we are obviously=20
> adding kinetic energy to the mass system. That energy cannot simply=20
> vanish, it must be conserved. Our objective is to transfer=A0as much =
as=20
> possible to the whippen, but some of it will be absorbed in the form=20=

> of heat. Some of this=A0heat will come from the internal flexure of =
the=20
> key. Some of the heat will come from crushing the front punching.=20
> Energy is force acting over distance in time. A "softer" punching will=20=

> have a longer contact time that it is pushing on the key and the key=20=

> will travel a greater distance with that force acting on it. This=20
> means it will absorb a greater amount of energy, which will in turn=20
> reduce the amount of energy left for the rest of the system.
> =A0
> Blessings from Indiana where it is snowing again,
> =A0
> Dean

With all respect Dean for your heat theory, but to me, being an=20
incredibly simple person from the Low Lands, I understand your=20
explanation of absorbing energy by a soft punching better.
That's why compared the firmer and softer punching with the car tire=20
they put under the sea saw in the first place.
It absorbs the shock, and will not hurt the child's behind (and spine)=20=

as much.
Therefor : if we remove the car tire, the shock will be harder and most=20=

that energy will be transferred back through the sea saw to the other=20
end.
It actually reminds voicing, you know....

Andr=E9 Oorebeek
Amsterdam
The Netherlands

Where 'music' is no harm can be