Andres punching tested

Dean May deanmay@pianorebuilders.com
Sat, 29 Jan 2005 09:58:15 -0500

 >> I would appreciate an engineering analysis considering not only the
flexibility of the key, but the flexibility of the hammer shank as well and
whether there is really adequate distance remaining between the hammer and
the string at the point at which the key bottoms out for any real difference
in acceleration of the hammer to occur, if any of you engineers cares to
offer one.

I think the principle involved is conservation of energy, or conservation of
momentum. In depressing the key we are obviously adding kinetic energy to
the mass system. That energy cannot simply vanish, it must be conserved. Our
objective is to transfer as much as possible to the whippen, but some of it
will be absorbed in the form of heat. Some of this heat will come from the
internal flexure of the key. Some of the heat will come from crushing the
front punching. Energy is force acting over distance in time. A "softer"
punching will have a longer contact time that it is pushing on the key and
the key will travel a greater distance with that force acting on it. This
means it will absorb a greater amount of energy, which will in turn reduce
the amount of energy left for the rest of the system.

Blessings from Indiana where it is snowing again,

Dean