String spacing: Was after-ring in new dampers

Stéphane Collin collin.s@skynet.be
Fri, 28 Jan 2005 07:32:08 +0100

MessageHello Alan.
  Did you say to make kinks in the strings?=20

Yes I did.

  This sounds like a sacralidge, false beat-wise.=20

Does it ? After all, there is already a kink in vertical plane at the =
agraffee termination (or is it the word kink that is incorrect ? I meant =
just bending the wire).  Why would a kink in horizontal plane be worse ? =
 Also, the wound trichords causing the damping problem are more often =
found at the bass side of the scale, where the false beats if any don't =
bother me as much as those in the two last upper octaves.  By the way, I =
am not sure of the effect of kink on false beats. =20

  Or am I missing something? How do you do it?

Exactly like when lifting strings to get them in the same horizontal =
plane : with a hook, pulling the string close to the agraffee in the =
direction where I want it (that is horizontally in this case, the left =
string left and the right string right).

Why not give it a try ? The effect on damping is immediate.

Best regards.

St=E9phane Collin.