after-ring in new dampers

Piano Forte Supply pianoforte@pianofortesupply.com
Thu, 27 Jan 2005 18:25:36 -0800

Hello Sarah,

When fitting the tri-chord (and sometimes bi-chord) dampers on an
upright or grand piano, a tool I find indispensable is a pair of damper
felt pliers.  With these, the damper wedges can be squeezed or ironed to
properly fit the strings.  They can be used cold, but it is a good idea
to heat them up over a flame, on a stovetop, or using hot water.  (Be
sure to give them a wipe so they are dry and clean  before use.)  Like
any other good specialty tool they may not seem "cheap" at first glance,
but they will pay for themselves on the first piano and give a lifetime
of service.

Available from any good supply house.  I personally carry them in two
styles - normal sized jaws  (35 mm) and extra wide (50 mm).
http://www.pianofortesupply.com/tools2.html

Jurgen Goering
Piano Forte Supply
---------------------------

Sarah Fox wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I just got finished replacing a lot of moth-eaten felt on my old
> Wissner, including of course the damper felt.  Most of the dampers
> sound great -- not too abrupt/whumpy, but not too sloppy either.  No
> "whooshing" or anything.  The only problem is the split wedges I'm
> using over those wound trichords that all you techs love so much.
> (Honesly, I think these notes sound fine -- very "ballsy" and not
> poorly behaved at all.)  The problem is that the strings are spaced so
> closely that the little wedges don't insert adequately between them.
> (The same wedges work fine for the plain wires in the lower tenor
> section.)  After sitting overnight, with the wedges gently "pressed"
> in place between the strings, damping was OK, but not great, for about
> 30 sec or so of playing.  Then the after-ring started up again -- not
> BADLY like the night before, but still noticeably.
>
> QUESTION:  Is this the sort of problem that will go away by itself, as
> the new dampers continue to seat?  Or am I using the wrong wedges?  Or
> perhaps I should "skinny down" the tips of these wedges by filing
> their inside surfaces with an emery board?
>
> Thanks for any advice!
>
> Peace,
> Sarah

--------------040009050108000608020904