good price for CA

Dean May deanmay@pianorebuilders.com
Thu, 27 Jan 2005 08:18:13 -0500

>>Typically CA makes an
instrument tunable again, sometimes makes pins actually tight again, but not
in the "Brand-New Baldwin" category.

I've seen it happen when too much CA is used. AS Thump said earlier, CA will
continue to cure over several days. It needs moisture to cure, and if you
use a lot of it, it will take awhile for it to happen. I would not recommend
putting more than 2 oz on a piano. You should know where the section with
loose pins is and give it a little more than the rest of the piano. There
may a handful of pins that need additional treatment after a few days, or
the next time you come out. Give them a few more drops, or pull them out and
squirt a little directly into the hole.

Don't use accelerator. You want a slow cure time. You want the glue to soak
deep into the wood. It is not an adhesive bond between the pin and wood we
are going for here. Any such bond is broken the first time you turn the pin.
The glue soaks into the wood, swells it, and sets. It reinforces the
cellular structure of the wood. It reestablishes the interference fit with
the wood. It is the wood gripping the  pin, which is exactly what we want.
But be patient. If the block is dry it may take a few days for it to achieve
full gripping power.

Blessings,

Dean