good price for CA

Don pianotuna@accesscomm.ca
Thu, 27 Jan 2005 02:10:04

Hi David,

Next time a tuning pin gets "too tight" use your tuning pin punch to break
it free, instead of twisting it off flush to the plate.

I had an out of town client use no less than 12 oz of glue on an old
upright...the end result was pleasantly tight tuning pins.

It is usually true that less CA glue is necessary when "pin dope" has been
used on a piano.

At 09:50 PM 26/01/2005 -0600, you wrote:
>Maggie,
>
>I agree with William here.  I would be cautious about using more than 2 oz
>of CA on a piano, and probably never more than 4 oz of CA glue on one
>piano.  I had an unfortunate incident a few years ago... very old 4'
>something no-name grand, heavily rusted, AND... previously treated with
>some unknown pinblock treatment.  I used 4 oz of CA glue, and since it was
>out of town, wasn't able to get back for a few weeks.  Fast forward a few
>weeks, and during tuning I found the tuning pin torque excessively
>high.  The piano was almost untunable because the torque was so high.  AND,
>a tuning pin snapped off flush with the plate.  Joy!
>
>Sincerely,
>David Vanderhoofven
>>
>>Really?!?!  I haven't done enough of them to know, but the one I am
>>working on took a 2oz bottle in a VERY small section.  That's why I
>>ordered the 8oz bottle.  Probably not the thing I will regularly run into,
>>I guess...?
>>THANKS!
>>-Maggie

Regards,