A general description of soundboard function, long.

Erwinspiano@aol.com Erwinspiano@aol.com
Wed, 26 Jan 2005 22:59:43 EST

Ric
  I received your apologies & I'm not surprised by  your comments for I find
them typical, but for the record It does seem  to me that you enjoy taking pot
shots at people who probalby really do know  something based on  not only
theory but on a whole heck of a lot of  expereince which you yourself confess you
didn't have.
    Any way ,Thank you for the compliment for I'm  always happy to be under
the influence of innovative well thought folks in our  field. I listen to them
&then  run it by my own  expereince.
    For my self I have been under the influence  of many other fine belly man
including that of  many greatly experienced but deceased belly men of the
past who have used  some of the designs called "Modern" that  truly had magic
sounds but were  not conventionally excepted at the times But I listen to them
anyway.
    I've written about them in the past often  & in an open & fair minded
way. They had ideas that were probably not  popularized by convention at the time
as is also the case now ,but  those designs were mostly successful non the
less.
    I.e.. The  reverse crowned boards made  by Becker, Sohmer ,Julius Bower&
others.  Every one which sings with  incredible freedom but  have yet to self
destruct as was the  concern. Those I've seen ,are still wholly intact. I
listen to  them.
  Also rib crowned boards from Knabe,Ludwig & others  from the past  with
crown & magic sound still  intact. I listen to them. Boards with taller than
wider ribs seem to hold up exceptionally well in the crown & tone  department.
  Other Makes such as Bluethner employed graceful  sweeping cutoff bars as
far back as 1905 which employ the use of shortened  ribs for prolonged crown
support. Un fortunately the ribs were not tall enough  in this case to provide
crown longevity but they were onto something & I  listen to them.
 I've also installed at least 60 board of various  designs , rib
configuration & EMC levels. Used  Every  concievable varity of spruce. Panels  of Thinner
& thicker  dimesions. Some tapered greatly others not much at all.
 They've each told me a story & so many things  work.
  & yes, compresion crowned boards  when certain Narrow parameters are met &
extremes in climate have  been mitigated . Many have wildly glorious tone ,
even when they're cracked  up & lost significant crown/bearing. I listen to them
too.  I  I've learned so much from John Hartman ,David Hughes, Nick Gravnge .
The ever  eloquent Robin Hufford is saying something currently I'm trying to
understand as  well.  l listen to him as well  &  The list is  long.
  What I want to say is quit pissin in the wind Brother  & listen to what
people are saying. Enjoy the collegiality of this list with  out acting as if the
facts & findings of others don't matter. Or that  you ,I or we have to know
the very last fact about  soundboard mechanics before we can just sit back &
enjoy the music of great  piano music in different mechanical design features.
I'll love the  sound of any glorious sound coming out of a piano regardless of
what design it  has. I'm very unbiased about that. If you send me a case &
want a C.C. board  I'll make you one! ... happily.
     The modern thrust is how can we take  the best of these ideas an move
the design forward so that it holds up  , gives repeatable consistent results &
perhaps an even more incredible  sustain or color. Just
maybe....................
  It's an art to agree to disagree with people &  still be friends but at the
end of the passionate or dispassionate discourse  & discussion were all
artisan with something to say. Including  you.
  Your public opinions are well known so I don't consider  your post or this
one of mine here to be any more less appropriate than this
   Dale Erwin

You wrote
Yes, I remember that 3 years ago very well. You present post is the first
I've seen that effectively counter addresses many of the claims that have
been made by the Ron, Del, and Ron show... with supporting roles played by
Terry and Dale.

I get along very well with both Terry and Dale, and  believe they are just
under the influence of the other three, as there has  been really no
alternative for them. So I am greatfull that you are able to  take the time.