Pricing

Conrad Hoffsommer hoffsoco@luther.edu
Wed, 26 Jan 2005 05:24:48 -0600

Harumph!

As the resident apprentice curmudgeon, I've just _got_ to get in on this one.

I _used_ to give discounts.   Quoth the raven, "Nevermore!"

If I had customers who regularly repeated at less than a yearly basis,
maybe I would...

Years ago, I worked for a store which had so many different discounts that
I needed a scorecard to keep which types/locations/frequencies got what.

Guess what?       Some of them knew each other.
Guess what else?  The ones which got the greatest discount frequently
needed the most work.
Third guess...    Which customers were the most appreciative?

Would you discount your fee when you tune a piano with fewer than 88 keys?
(I don't have any Bösendorfers in my clientele, so the opposite situation
is moot for me)

I give every piano the same level of service - my best.  If someone wants
me to work on their instrument(s) they should expect to pay for what they
get.

Hard-hearted?  Maybe. I'm still told that I don't charge enough.

Conrad Hoffsommer, RPT, MPT, CCT, PFP, ACS, CRS.
Decorah, IA

- Certified Calibration Technician for Bio-powered Digitally Activated
Lever Action Tone Generation Systems.
- Pianotech Flamesuit Purveyor
- American Curmudgeon Society - Apprentice Member and Founder