Stringing Tools

Conrad Hoffsommer hoffsoco@luther.edu
Tue, 25 Jan 2005 05:43:00 -0600

At 10:23 1/24/2005 -0800, you wrote:
>Hello guys,
>
>I am in the process of purchasing some stringing tools, and I would like
>to know the wisest venture that would save me the most money.
>
>For example...I don't think I will purchase a wire gauge.  They are spendy
>in my opinion.  In stead, I purchased a nice digital micrometer that I can
>use to measure string size, and I can also use it to measure center pins,
>keytops, etc.
>
>And I also know that there are certain stringing tools that are a must to
>have in order to replace strings properly, and I know there are some tools
>that are not a necessity to have...they just make the job go easier.
>
>I am just trying to find out exactly a list of the tools I need to replace
>treble strings that I absolutely need to have to get the job done.
>
>Thanks!
>

>Matthew Todd
>Todd Piano Works
>Piano Tuner/Technician
>Tuning - Repairing - Regulating

My bare minimum for replacing that isolated string:

-Micrometer [1" or 15mm depending on mood]
-small Barnard pliers (parallel jaw w/wire cutter) for cutting wire and
snugging becket into hole
-spare tuning pin for making coil prior to putting on installed pin
-small blade screwdriver (~1/8") for pulling out becket/lifting coil while
bringing up tension/spacing strings @capo
-needle nose pliers for extracting old string/snugging new becket/etc.
-tuning hammer for some reason or other... {only specific piano tool}
-full string supply

nice to have and help make the job easier and better looking:
-string lifter/spacer
-stringing crank
-hammer head which fits universal handle - occasionally helps with spacer
-tube/curtain rod for feeding loops behind/under bass section

Other tools/toys available

YMMV

Conrad Hoffsommer, RPT, MPT, CCT, PFP, ACS, CRS.
Decorah, IA

- Certified Calibration Technician for Bio-powered Digitally Activated
Lever Action Tone Generation Systems.
- Pianotech Flamesuit Purveyor
- American Curmudgeon Society - Apprentice Member and Founder