circle of sound

Piano Forte Supply pianoforte@pianofortesupply.com
Mon, 24 Jan 2005 19:04:34 -0800

The outer rims I saw at the Bösendorfer factory surprised (scared!) me.

There was the edge grain spruce, as has been described, but it was only
about 15 mm (5/8") thick.  On the inside and outside, a sheet of K-3
board was laminated to it!  This is a hard paper press board (think of a
peg board).  Then, a sheet of formica is glued on to the outside of that
for  pianos that will be black (sometimes called ebony - not to be
confused with that exotic, precious wood).  This gives a stable base for
the polyester.

 I understand most companies use the formica trick, but perhaps the K-3
board is the secret ingredient to the Bösendorfer sound ???!

Jurgen Goering
www.pianofortesupply.com