missing photos / individually looped strings, etc.

Keith Roberts kpiano@goldrush.com
Mon, 24 Jan 2005 15:32:31 -0800

I've run across the "no sag syndrome" several times. Now I check as I go =
to make sure everything is moving like it should. I think it is due to a =
low tension scale, no crown and a beefy plate/ case. Without any plate =
compression whatever pitch you pull the string to is where it stays. =
Easy to tune because the neighboring notes have no effect on each other. =
I pulled one up from almost 100 cents flat that stayed right where I put =
it.

kpiano
  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: Piannaman@aol.com=20
  To: pianotech@ptg.org=20
  Sent: Sunday, January 23, 2005 10:59 PM
  Subject: Re: missing photos / individually looped strings, etc.

  In a message dated 1/22/05 11:58:41 AM Pacific Standard Time, =
emailforjc@yahoo.com writes:
    The difference in stability between
    a standard model (individual loops) and a Conservatory (shared =
strings) was
    dramatic. At that early stage, the lower cost Conservatory was much =
more
    stable, even though it is identical in design except of the shared =
strings.
    After some time and enough tunings, the stability is the same.
  Jerry,

  The strings on the Erard in question were new in relation to the age =
of the piano, but had been installed a couple of years ago or more.  I =
was quite surprised when a 100 cent pitch raise that was targeting A at =
438 ended up 10-15 cents above A 440 in the middle of the piano. =20

  It seems logical to me that pulling on one side of a looped string =
would affect the other side of the string to some degree, however small. =
 The individual string could only affect its neighbor via =
bridge/soundboard flexion.  I have not researched this, so I haven't any =
data other than the aforementioned experience to back up this =
hypothesis.  I did find it quite curious, though.  In doing pitch =
adjustments with Tunelab for the last 2 1/2 years, I've never had this =
happen.  I always end up very close to target pitch.

  I'm just glad I didn't target 440! =20

  Dave Stahl