missing photos / individually looped strings, etc.

Piannaman@aol.com Piannaman@aol.com
Mon, 24 Jan 2005 01:59:29 EST

In a message dated 1/22/05 11:58:41 AM Pacific Standard Time,
emailforjc@yahoo.com writes:

The  difference in stability between
a standard model (individual loops) and a  Conservatory (shared strings) was
dramatic. At that early stage, the lower  cost Conservatory was much more
stable, even though it is identical in  design except of the shared strings.
After some time and enough tunings,  the stability is the same.

Jerry,

The strings on the Erard in question were new in relation to the age of the
piano, but had been installed a couple of years ago or more.  I was quite
surprised when a 100 cent pitch raise that was targeting A at 438 ended up 10-15
cents above A 440 in the middle of the piano.

It seems logical to me that pulling on one side of a looped string would
affect the other side of the string to some degree, however small.  The
individual string could only affect its neighbor via bridge/soundboard  flexion.  I
have not researched this, so I haven't any data other than  the aforementioned
experience to back up this hypothesis.  I did  find it quite curious, though.
In doing pitch adjustments with Tunelab for  the last 2 1/2 years, I've never
had this happen.  I always end up very  close to target pitch.

I'm just glad I didn't target 440!

Dave Stahl