Return spring removal

Joe Garrett joegarrett@earthlink.net
Mon, 24 Jan 2005 11:10:17 -0800

Dave Bunch asked: "Hello all;

I am in the process of removing and replacing all of the hammer return =
=3D
springs on a stencil console.

Having the rail removed, more than half have broken due to corrosion. =
=3D
All but about 16 I could grab the spring coil, or whatever is left and =
=3D
pull it all out in one piece. The tail goes through a hole, bends back =
=3D
and lays in a slot.

Is the any trick to removing the remains of the stubborn ones? Prying in =
=3D
the slot with a knife blade was not successful. I had to stop for the =
=3D
day to go do my tunings.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. I find irony that in twenty =3D
years I have never had to do this :-)

Thanks

Dave Bunch

Dave,
For years, I've had this little tool that comes in handy for all sorts =
of things. It's a Heavy sewing needle, inserted into a 1/2" dowel =
handle. The tip of the needle is ground with opposing flats. Works great =
for your application. Also works well for adding the tiny hydraulic =
relief hole in Upright hammers. I also use it as a depth gauge. Well, =
you get the idea.
Best Regards,
Joe Garrett, R.P.T.
Captain, Tool Police