Fw: S&S Model A string scaling American vs. Hamburg.

Mon, 24 Jan 2005 18:45:43 -0000

Hello List
I have pleasure in appending a reply from S&S N.Y. to the query as =
stated.
Regards
Michael G (UK)
----- Original Message -----=20
From: Kirkland, David=20
To: michael@gambles.fsnet.co.uk=20
Sent: Monday, January 24, 2005 6:37 PM
Subject: RE: S&S Model A string scaling American vs. Hamburg.

Dear Mr. Gamble,
    The only difference between Hamburg and American scales of the same =
model might be in the suppliers of the wire.  In theory they are exactly =
the same scales, although it is conceivable that there might be a slight =
difference due to wire suppliers (German vs. American) and the =
corresponding methods of measurement in production of the wire stock.  =
However that may be, we don't have an available history of wire =
suppliers and whether or when there were different or the same =
suppliers.
        There are actually five different types of Model A scales, as =
follows:
        A (I) 1878-1893, 85 keys
        A (I) 1892-1897, 88 keys
        A (II) 1896-1905, 88 keys, long scale
        A (II) 1905-present, 88 keys, short scale
        A (III) 1913-1945, 88 keys
            To the best of my knowledge, A-III was never produced in =
Hamburg.  The Hamburg factory today produces the A-II short scale.
                If you are able to provide the serial number, please do =
so.  If it is indeed an A-III made in Hamburg according to the serial =
number ledgers we would be very interested to have this information.
                    -David Kirkland, Technical Services Administrator, =
Steinway & Sons       =20