Return spring removal

John Ross jrpiano@win.eastlink.ca
Mon, 24 Jan 2005 15:01:29 -0400

I usually grab lightly with the points of a pair of centre pin nippers, (Well in my case electronic wire cutters, from my days as an electronic organ tech.) and pull. They mostly always come out.
On the really stubborn ones, that have broken under the surface, so I can't grab them, I use a Dremel tool, and a very small drill bit, or piece of piano wire, and follow it in. It will either push the wire out, or drill a small hole very close to the original.
I do not replace them, by just pushing in and bending. If it is not already in with the two hole method, I make a new hole alongside the original. Then you thread it down one hole, bend it and feed it in the second hole, grab the end, pull and clip. It stays in place much better that way.
Then just run your hide glue down.
Oh yes, if the rail had a small piece of felt next to the coil, remove it, and wash the wood with acetone. The felt was contaminated, and caused the coil to corrode.
Regards,
John M. Ross
Windsor, Nova Scotia, Canada
jrpiano@win.eastlink.ca
  ----- Original Message -----
  From: Dave Bunch
  To: pianotech@ptg.org
  Sent: Monday, January 24, 2005 2:35 PM
  Subject: Return spring removal

  Hello all;

  I am in the process of removing and replacing all of the hammer return springs on a stencil console.

  Having the rail removed, more than half have broken due to corrosion. All but about 16 I could grab the spring coil, or whatever is left and pull it all out in one piece. The tail goes through a hole, bends back and lays in a slot.

  Is the any trick to removing the remains of the stubborn ones? Prying in the slot with a knife blade was not successful. I had to stop for the day to go do my tunings.

  Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. I find irony that in twenty years I have never had to do this :-)

  Thanks

  Dave Bunch