circle of sound

Paul Chick (Earthlink) tune4@earthlink.net
Mon, 24 Jan 2005 07:57:34 -0600

Subject: Re: circle of sound

It is my understanding that the Bosey rim is not laminated spruce but solid
spruce edge glued and end glued to gether and then the shape is carved out
of that.  That would keep the vibration back to the SB sine there are no
plies to soak it up>
Jim
James Grebe
Piano-Forte Tuning & Repair
Creator of Handsome Hardwood Caster Cups, piano benches, writing instruments
(314) 608-4137
WWW.JamesGrebe.com
1526 Raspberry Lane
Arnold, MO 63010

Bosendorfer released a tech video in the late 1980"s(?), of their
manufacturing plant.  It showed the rim being kerf cut so it would bend
around the inner rim.  The inside and outside of the rim were veneered.  The
kerf cuts were filled with wedges and the edge(s) veneered to match.  I can
only assume they still do this today.

Paul C