perpetually sticking keys

Greg Newell gnewell@ameritech.net
Sun, 23 Jan 2005 16:11:08 -0500

Tom,
         Lots of things have been offered. All of them are possibly valid=20
but precious few are actually likely. Process of elimination still works=20
very well in diagnosing problems. Did the piano function normally before=20
you re-bushed the keys? If so, and I suspect that this is the case, then=20
the problem is in the re-bushing effort. I suggest you look very carefully=
=20
at whether or not you have too much glue in there. It will have dripped=20
down lower in the mortise than the felt and could be rubbing against the=20
key pin when the key is depressed. If you thought that the problem was in=20
the felt and you eased the bushing you may have missed it. What type of=20
glue did you use? Look carefully at each key mortise under a strong light=20
and I'll just bet you'll find a glob of glue in there. If so just break it=
=20
away and get it out of there.
         If by chance you had this problem before doing the work you=20
described then please disregard the above.

best of luck,
Greg Newell

At 10:09 AM 1/23/2005, you wrote:
>List
>
>I got in too deep this time.  I sold a little spinet piano last month. I=20
>had replaced the damper felts, key bushings, and keytops.  I included a=20
>free tuning and although there was no written guarantee, I promised her=20
>that the piano was in good working order.  Which it was.
>
>While the piano was in my posession, I did have ALOT of trouble getting=20
>the keys eased so that they would return promptly.  Every time I went out=
=20
>to the shop I'd find another key that wouldn't come back up, but I thought=
=20
>I had them all taken care of.  And if she had any problems, I planned to=20
>install lead weights on the back of the keys.
>
>Which I did, two weeks ago, when she called to tell me that there were a=20
>couple of sticking keys.  With the weights installed, I figured that would=
=20
>be the last I'd hear from her.
>
>Nope.
>
>She called yesterday with more sticking keys.  Now, it's winter here in=20
>Chicago, the indoor climate is dry, compared to spring, which is only a=20
>few months away.  If she's having problems now, oh boy.
>
>My question is: what the heck can I do next?  I've eased the keys from=20
>here till Sunday.   I put the lead weights all the way at the back of the=
=20
>key for maximum effect.  I polished the keypins and sprayed them with=20
>TFL50. I don't know what to do next to get myself out of this quagmire.  I=
=20
>want her to be satisfied with this instrument.  I want to stop driving the=
=20
>25 miles to her house.
>
>HELP!
>
>Tom Sivak