Job Transitioning

David Love davidlovepianos@comcast.net
Sun, 23 Jan 2005 08:15:17 -0800

Consider that you will have to work Saturdays for awhile (not a bad way
to build business, btw, offering Saturday appointments).  See if you can
negotiate to part time at your regular job, or a 4 day week with longer
days while you are building business.  See if you can land a piano store
job with regularly scheduled floor work.  You will have to sell yourself
fairly cheap for most stores, but you can get a lot of experience and
some customers pretty fast.  If you have a shop space, get it set up to
bring in pianos which you can work on and resell when field work gets
slow.  Expand your expertise and speed in certain repair repertoire and
offer it at a discount to other techs who may be too busy and willing to
make some money on your labor (bushings and keytops, for example).  As
things get busier try and phase out your other job by going to permanent
part time or, if your current employer won't go for it, find another
part time job.  Fortunately, office work is fairly mobile.  At some
point you probably have to make the leap, but you can do it in a less
risky way if you plan carefully and look realistically at your current
business level.  First thing, though, make sure you do good work and
stay in touch with the customers you do have.  Keeping a customer is a
lot easier than finding a new one.

David Love
davidlovepianos@comcast.net

> Hello,
>
> I am in the process of transitioning jobs from what I do now to a full
> time piano tech.  What process did you all use?  Right now there is no
way
> I can begin to make an income on piano clients because the money I
make
> right now is going towards the purchase of tools (little by little).
So I
> still have my regular job (office job) at the present.  When does the
time
> come for me to start seriously thinking about going full force into
piano
> tech?
>
> Thanks!
>

> Matthew Todd