perpetually sticking keys

Keith Roberts kpiano@goldrush.com
Sun, 23 Jan 2005 07:40:36 -0800

This is a spinet, maybe the wippen flanges are frozen and the key can't =
push it back down. Disconnect the sticker. Check the key. If you can =
feel a slight  but definite movement at the front rail don't ease, it's =
probably not the key unless the condition of balance rail bushing is =
gone. I glue up a whole rail of bushings in an hour so it's not the end =
of the world. Jack springs contribute to return so the jack flanges =
might be frozen too. I'm just dealing with a pinning problem. They are =
tight and someone else tried lubricating. With what I don't know. They =
also eased the keys to the "max" and I had to redo the balance rail =
holes. The sharps went down when you played a white key.

kpiano

  My question is: what the heck can I do next?  I've eased the keys from =
here till Sunday.   I put the lead weights all the way at the back of =
the key for maximum effect.  I polished the keypins and sprayed them =
with TFL50. I don't know what to do next to get myself out of this =
quagmire.  I want her to be satisfied with this instrument.  I want to =
stop driving the 25 miles to her house.

  HELP!

  Tom Sivak
  Chicago PTG Associate=20