perpetually sticking keys

Alan tune4u@earthlink.net
Sun, 23 Jan 2005 09:38:15 -0600

Just a thought ... are you sure your problem is in the keybed? What =
about
those action centers, hammer return springs, etc.?  If those hammers are
slow to return, your jacks may not be resetting properly. That's one of =
the
neat things about an inverted action--so many opportunities for problems =
wire grommets out of place, warped elbows, Barbie Doll shoes, snake =
skins,
hairpins, mouse nests, nuclear waste ...
=20
Alan R. Barnard
Salem, MO

-----Original Message-----
From: pianotech-bounces@ptg.org [mailto:pianotech-bounces@ptg.org] On =
Behalf
Of Tvak@aol.com
Sent: Sunday, January 23, 2005 9:10 AM
To: pianotech@ptg.org
Subject: perpetually sticking keys

List

I got in too deep this time.  I sold a little spinet piano last month. I =
had
replaced the damper felts, key bushings, and keytops.  I included a free
tuning and although there was no written guarantee, I promised her that =
the
piano was in good working order.  Which it was. =20

While the piano was in my posession, I did have ALOT of trouble getting =
the
keys eased so that they would return promptly.  Every time I went out to =
the
shop I'd find another key that wouldn't come back up, but I thought I =
had
them all taken care of.  And if she had any problems, I planned to =
install
lead weights on the back of the keys.

Which I did, two weeks ago, when she called to tell me that there were a
couple of sticking keys.  With the weights installed, I figured that =
would
be the last I'd hear from her.=20

Nope.

She called yesterday with more sticking keys.  Now, it's winter here in
Chicago, the indoor climate is dry, compared to spring, which is only a =
few
months away.  If she's having problems now, oh boy.

My question is: what the heck can I do next?  I've eased the keys from =
here
till Sunday.   I put the lead weights all the way at the back of the key =
for
maximum effect.  I polished the keypins and sprayed them with TFL50. I =
don't
know what to do next to get myself out of this quagmire.  I want her to =
be
satisfied with this instrument.  I want to stop driving the 25 miles to =
her
house.

HELP!

Tom Sivak