perpetually sticking keys

tom driscoll tomtuner@comcast.net
Sun, 23 Jan 2005 10:18:18 -0500

  Subject: perpetually sticking keys

  List

  I got in too deep this time.  I sold a little spinet piano last month. =
I had replaced the damper felts, key bushings, and keytops.  I included =
a free tuning and although there was no written guarantee, I promised =
her that the piano was in good working order.  Which it was. =20

  While the piano was in my posession, I did have ALOT of trouble =
getting the keys eased so that they would return promptly.  Every time I =
went out to the shop I'd find another key that wouldn't come back up, =
but I thought I had them all taken care of.  And if she had any =
problems, I planned to install lead weights on the back of the keys.

  Which I did, two weeks ago, when she called to tell me that there were =
a couple of sticking keys.  With the weights installed, I figured that =
would be the last I'd hear from her. <SNIP>

  Nope.

  Tom Sivak
  Chicago PTG Associate=20
     =20
  Tom=20
      A few posibilities come to mind-
     =20
      Tight whippen -flange action centers
     =20
      Rusty or rough spoons digging into the damper levers
     =20
      Maybe you've already eliminated these options.
     =20
      Best ,
      Tom Driscoll