perpetually sticking keys

Tvak@aol.com Tvak@aol.com
Sun, 23 Jan 2005 10:09:55 EST

List

I got in too deep this time.   I sold a little spinet piano last month. I had
replaced the damper felts, key bushings, and keytops.   I included a free
tuning and although there was no written guarantee, I promised her that the piano
was in good working order.   Which it was.

While the piano was in my posession, I did have ALOT of trouble getting the
keys eased so that they would return promptly.   Every time I went out to the
shop I'd find another key that wouldn't come back up, but I thought I had them
all taken care of.   And if she had any problems, I planned to install lead
weights on the back of the keys.

Which I did, two weeks ago, when she called to tell me that there were a
couple of sticking keys.   With the weights installed, I figured that would be the
last I'd hear from her.

Nope.

She called yesterday with more sticking keys.   Now, it's winter here in
Chicago, the indoor climate is dry, compared to spring, which is only a few months
away.   If she's having problems now, oh boy.

My question is: what the heck can I do next?   I've eased the keys from here
till Sunday.    I put the lead weights all the way at the back of the key for
maximum effect.   I polished the keypins and sprayed them with TFL50. I don't
know what to do next to get myself out of this quagmire.   I want her to be
satisfied with this instrument.   I want to stop driving the 25 miles to her
house.

HELP!

Tom Sivak
Chicago PTG Associate