Baldwin SD-10, was circle of sound

Overs Pianos sec@overspianos.com.au
Sun, 23 Jan 2005 22:37:00 +1100

Hi Serge,

>I just lifted my first SD-10 (20 years old) plate last week, very heavy
>piece of material and impressive engineering set-up.
>The duplex gismos make me perplex...
>Just got the information from Baldwin, that piano should have a very
>small amount of down bearing example: for a bass string 1 pound of down
>pressure on the bridge (maybe I misinterpret the info here) seen to be
>too small.
>
>Could you please be more specific about the improvement you made on this
>particular piano?
>
>Serge Harel

We recapped both bridges, retained the sound board but glued the back
section to the inner rim again since it had de-laminated behind the
bass bridge. We changed the hammers for Imadegawa walnut cores. But
the most important change was the forged inserts in the top two
treble sections. The original bearing radius on these was, in my
opinion, way too large. So I ground them to a smaller radius with an
angle grinder. The bass metal is quite hard on the forgings, so they
remained quite effective at resisting the cutting action of the
strings. Originally, these were electroless nickel plated. We didn't
re-plate them, but we will when it is re-strung again.

Each forging is straight and not curved. So the hammer strike line in
each string section must be curved to achieve the correct strike
ratio. The new strike line was derived by testing samples of the new
hammers and moving the action in and out while playing, until the
optimum position was determined for each sample hammer, to determine
the required curve.

This SD we rebuilt (in 1988) had one of the finest tonal qualities of
any instrument we have rebuilt. But the Renner action/key board
combination was a bit of a disaster. There is something wrong with
the hammer/key ratio which causes it to be exceedingly heavy. At the
time we weren't familiar with trouble shooting actions, but we'll be
fixing it shortly.

I owned the piano until 2003, when I sold it as is. We are just about
to redo the piano again for the new owner. This time I've designed a
new keyboard which will allow us to fit our Overs action to the
SD-10. Rick Wheeler is going to build a keyboard for me once I get
our bureau to output it at the exact size required for the clear film
template. At the same time as the SD board was drawn, I designed a
key board for fitting our action to a Steinway D.

Ron O.
--
OVERS PIANOS - SYDNEY
    Grand Piano Manufacturers