circle of sound

Terry terry@farrellpiano.com
Sat, 22 Jan 2005 14:39:57 -0500

Boesendorfer makes their inner rims of spruce -right?

I have often wondered how they can make a decent piano with a soft,
low-density wood like that. Do they use a vertically laminated rim like
American pianos? Does Bechstein also use a spruce inner rim? I inspected an
1880s Weber recently (about 7-foot) and noted that it had a horizontally
laminated softwood inner rim. Kinda neat looking actually (spruce, pine,
don't know exactly what it was - didn't want to dig into it - but definitely
softwood).

I'd sure like to hear any thoughts others might have about why a
manufacturer would go for a low density wood when there is a fair bit of
?logic? well, so many successful builders use a heavy thick hardwood rim.

Terry Farrell