Broken Keys Repair and PREVENTION

Alan tune4u@earthlink.net
Sat, 22 Jan 2005 23:21:45 -0600

Wow, impressive diagnostics. I'm not sure I'd have spotted the =
"illness."
=20
I wonder, also, who cared enough to take the time (or pay the fee) to
regulate a beastie little spinet. Seems like a tech who could identify a
reason to change the geometry would also know enough to make it ALL =
work.=20
=20
I've seen uprights where the blow was shortened with punchings or felt =
as a
quick "cure" for jack-to-butt problems, or at least I assume that was =
what
they were after.=20
=20
If I were going to mess with center rail height, I think I'd experiement
with adding center rail punchings to a few keys and test-regulating from
there, then use that height to lift the rail uniformly. Would that be =
good
procedure?
=20
Do some come from the factory so poorly designed that they need
reengineering, or was this piano just not up to intended reg specks to =
begin
with; that would be my question.
=20
Alan R. Barnard