Broken Keys Repair

Don pianotuna@accesscomm.ca
Sat, 22 Jan 2005 18:10:58

Hi Doug,

It broke because the "strike" on the key exceeded the strength of the glue
joint. Learn to tune mf rather than FFF. Save your ears and your body. That
part of the key is weakest.

A better repair would have used veneer on each side of the key to
strengthen it. Use the adjacent keys as a clamp and place waxed paper
between them in the key you are trying to repair. Best of Luck!

At 06:45 PM 22/01/2005 -0500, you wrote:
>I tuned a piano today and the key broke where it
>was previously repaired before.  It broke in the middle
>near the balance rail hole.  I could see that it broke
>and was glued at some point.
>
>My question is, why do they break, and what method/glue
>do you use to prevent breakage again like this after I repair
>it?
>
>Thanks!
>
>Doug Renz

Regards,