circle of sound

V T pianovt@yahoo.com
Sat, 22 Jan 2005 11:10:42 -0800 (PST)

Hi Terry, Ric, List,

The radiation from speaker cabinet panels would not be
desirable even if the radiated spectrum were flat,
which it isn't.  So, MDF, being lossy (dissipative),
is in that application a good choice (as long as you
don't remind yourself that you paid all that money for
particle board). Sustain is definitely not what you
want in a loudspeaker box.  There is plenty of power
available from the amplifier to drive the speakers and
waste some energy in the fill material, the air
inside, and the MDF.

In contrast, a piano designer probably strives to
direct as much of the energy into the soundboard and
get the least energy loss elsewhere so that the board
can keep vibrating as long and as vigorously as
possible.

Now, my question is: why does Boesendorfer get decent
results with a soft rim.  Or, are the results that
great?

Vladan

I don't know Ric, I'm not sure exactly how applicable
it is, but the
preferred material for high-fidelity speaker box or
mounting platform is
MDF. Also, while it seems a good idea that every part
of the piano should
play its role, I'm not sure that all parts need to be
little soundboards.
MDF might not hold a screw well, might fall apart
rather quickly in the
water, but as far as just being an immobile hunk of
very dense stuff that
doesn't vibrate very well - which, I think, is the
basic function of an
inner rim - it think it fits that bill even better
than many hardwoods. It's
also dimensionally quite stable (I think).

Hmmmmm, an MDF pre-formed inner rim?

I'm really not suggesting that, but I find it
difficult to imagine how it
would be a detriment to the musical properties of a
piano when used as a
case material.

Terry Farrell

Richard wrote:

> Grin.... true enough Terry.... but then that said.
Steinway does beleive
> in the idea that every part of the piano should in
someway or another
> contribute to the projection and quality of the
sound. Solid hardwoods