circle of sound

Overs Pianos sec@overspianos.com.au
Sun, 23 Jan 2005 11:09:49 +1100

>Now, my question is: why does Boesendorfer get decent
>results with a soft rim.  Or, are the results that
>great?
>
>Vladan

They get quite good results from pp to mf, but at
the higher output levels their designs don't seem
to cope very well.

>My understanding is that the soft rim is compensated for by a more
>massive soundboard (thickness).
>
>David Love
>davidlovepianos@comcast.net

Possibly, the ribs on the bigger pianos are also
quite heavy relative to their strength. The
Imperial ribs are nominally 30mm wide by 23 mm
high.

One would expect their light spruce rims to limit
sustain, and they probably do. But as David said,
the heavier sound board of the Bös would seem to
be one factor which is contributing to sustaining
qualities. The Bös plate is also considerably
heavier than the lightweight offerings from
Yamaha and Steinway for example. I remain highly
suspicious of the tonal negatives, which I
believe light plates bring to the mix.

Steinway D plates are only around 8 mm thick
behind the hitch plates. The 225 plate we are
using for our piano is around 11mm out behind the
hitch plate. I can't remember the thickness of
Imperial plate but I do remember that is towards
the heavier end. Look at the SD-10! Another heavy
plated and heavily rimmed piano which has quite
outstanding tonal characteristics once the duplex
noise and other stringing and strike ratio issues
are sorted.

Ron O.
--
OVERS PIANOS - SYDNEY