Rims & tuning forks

antares antares@euronet.nl
Sat, 22 Jan 2005 23:54:46 +0100

I think...... (therefor I am, but it's almost 12 pm and Horace's
message seems to have flown by a long time ago) that what Horace meant
was that you get different results with a tuning fork if you put in on
the rim of a Steinway and on the rim of a Bösendorfer.
Of course that does make sense and it was not flippant at all I think.

The rim of the Steinway is completely different from the Bösendorfer
rim as it is multi-layered with hard woods.
The rim of the Bösendorfer on the other hand is made of spruce which
has been sawed in like a harmonica so that you can bend it.  Afterwards
it is veneered.
The sound of the Bösendorfer rim is definitely different as it is less
massive and because the wood used is so much different.

André Oorebeek