Circle of Sound

gordon stelter lclgcnp@yahoo.com
Sat, 22 Jan 2005 13:50:52 -0800 (PST)

 "what is best" out and get to
> more dispassionant specifics.
>

> RicB

"dispassionate" is key here. We Amerikans like to pick
sides and slug it out. ( For some stupid reason.
Hormones in cattle feed getting into the drinking
water, I suspect ).
    As much as the subject in hand, this concerns me.
I don't believe any "scientific" analysis of how piano
tone is created will ever "prove" anything, because
the instrument is simply too complex, with too many
factors at work to reasonably measure thenm all.
     We do, however, have simple laws of physics to
regard, such as the fact that vibrations travel more
readily through a dense material. So, unless someone
just likes to argue, why propose that ANY part of a
piano be made out of spongy, sound-absorbent stuff
-------- just "in case " ------ ( Hahahahaha! )???
So, why not rejoice at how much more reliable tonally
hard, rigid case pianos seem to be, and accept that
MAYBE, just maybe, the folks that made them had a
reason for doing it this way ?????

     Thump