circle of sound

gordon stelter lclgcnp@yahoo.com
Sat, 22 Jan 2005 13:01:12 -0800 (PST)

> > >water, but as far as just being an immobile hunk
> of very dense stuff
> > >that
> > >doesn't vibrate very well - which, I think, is
> the basic function of
> an

Sure. An immobile hunk of very dense stuff which
carries vibrational energy ( hardwood rim ) or one
which sucks it up like a mop ( chipboard ). As a
tuning fork applied to a hardwood rim will be heard as
soundboard resonance, so will vibrational energy which
has escaped from the board to the rim. Its ability to
re-enter the board at some other point is greatly
enhanced by a rock-solid rim, IMHO.
     Thump