Erard photos and tips for regulation

Terry terry@farrellpiano.com
Sat, 22 Jan 2005 10:01:37 -0500

Where are the photos and who are you?

But more to the point, you ask whether Erard was stubborn in adopting =
modern technology.

The answer is yes, that is true. History suggest he did not adopt many =
things at all - rather he invented them and set the standard! The =
double-escapement grand action was introduced by Sebastien Erard in =
1821. Check out the following link and review all the patented systems =
he invented: http://www.uk-piano.org/history/erard.html

But is does seem odd to me that you would find such a weird action in a =
20th Century Erard - but then I've never serviced an Erard. I most =
certainly don't know a thing about regulating the action you describe.

Let us know what you find out about it.=20

Pictures?=20

Terry Farrell

I worked on an Erard from 1917 yesterday.  I was surprised to learn that =
it was only from 1917, because the action was somewhat alien to me.  =
Definitely not a modern action.  Isn't it true that Erard was stubborn =
in adopting modern technology?  The "backchecks" are little tongues that =
stick through the repetition levers.  The hammers are shaped like an =
upright's.

  Though I did not have time to remove the mechanism--given that it =
needed a 100 cent + pitch raise(new strings, no problem), I was a bit =
short on time--I could tell it needed work.  Everything seemed either in =
good original condition, or replaced, but it needs regulation in a big =
way.  It plays like a tank, and has a few problems.

  Anyone worked on one or more of these beasts?  I'm sure Ric, Andre, =
and our other European brothers have seen more of these than they'd care =
to remember...How it works seem pretty self-explanatory, but any tips =
would be appreciated.

  Here are a couple of photos